Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Response to "Homeplace"

I can relate to the feelings that Hooks felt while walking through the white neighborhood to get to her destination, and i am a white male. When i walk into certain areas of detroit or inkster or even dearborn/dearborn heights, I get looked at as an outsider. Does that make the people that are staring at me "racist"? No not always, people are natturally aware of anything different coming into their area of living. Arabs do it to me in east dearborn, blacks do it to me in detroit,even certain whites do it when i come into an upper class neighborhood, do i label them racist, no. I feel it is unfair how Hooks has labeled the white faces on the porches staring down at her as racists, it is only natural to do this. I also feel that the same idea comes up to many times in the first few pages, reitteration of the idea.

1 comment:

Cait.blog.Lyn said...

After reading your response I have also felt the same feeling before when i was over in europe for a month. Occasionally I would be walking and the people behind us would be whipsering "stupid americans" or give us dirty looks. I didn't think we stood out that much but I guess everything is different over in Europe, just like here.